Saturday, March 19, 2011

Taking a stand for what's right

You know...  I never saw myself as an advocate.  I am loud and I am prone to voicing my opinions however taking a stand for the greater good was never on my agenda. Unfortunately, life has a way of presenting you with opportunities to right some wrongs, not only for yourself, but for people who don't know or will never know your name.

I find myself in such a situation.

I am employed in a very large institution which proudly displays a multitude of awards, particularly in the area of providing a family friendly working environment for women.  In fact, last week the head of the organisation sent around an self congratulatory email about what a wonderful place we work in and aren't we lucky? 

Ummm  well no.  

I have, for a year now, been having an ongoing battle with management about providing working mothers with flexibility around work/life balance.  I know for a fact that I am not the only working parent in my organisation facing the complex juggling act of work, kids, being an effective team member and being an effective parent.

I was told in what I know term 'Round One', that is was my choice to work and therefore I would need to make sacrifices.

Now.  I cannot stress enough how discriminatory that statement is and how incensed I was to have another woman say that to me.  I think I shook with rage for a couple of days before I could bring myself to address the matter in writing to avoid losing the plot and crying in rage.

Needless to say, things have gone steadily downhill from that point on.  I have had it pointed out to me a number of times that it's not fair for the other members of my team who don't have parental responsibilities that I be allowed to access provisions in place for parents and carers.  Really?  So in actual fact I am the one who's doing the discriminating?  I think not.

Last week, my cup runneth over.  I am no longer prepared to suffer discrimination in silence. I refuse to subject myself to subliminal intimidation for trying to access my legal entitlements in order to perform my duties as primary caregiver to my children.

Thankfully, in amongst all of the shit I've faced over the course of the past year, I've realised that I have some true friends and allies, borne of shared anger and indignation at the short sightedness of those chosen to lead.

Things are going to get very interesting in the next few months.  I'm not prepared to sit in silence any longer and have decided to take the road less travelled and stir the pot.  Formally.

My only hope is that, in the aftermath of what's to come, people will get real about the predicament faced by working parents and actually start living up to the long winded philosophies they extol on their official website and the statements they make in their applications for awards targeted at environments receptive of the term 'flexibilty'.

Yours in solidarity,

Mrs Nobody

1 comment:

  1. "I have had it pointed out to me a number of times that it's not fair for the other members of my team who don't have parental responsibilities that I be allowed to access provisions in place for parents and carers. Really? "

    Oh that makes my blood boil!!!!

    I was always PISSED off at the members of staff who would take 5-10 mins every hour to go and have a smoko yet I was always being watched about "being back from lunch ONTIME!".

    Good luck with what faces you over the coming months and know you have some allies standing behind you when you are feeling down.

    ReplyDelete