Saturday, September 18, 2010

Status Symbols

I'll admit it.  I'm a sucker for the apple.  As in Mac.  


Completely obssessed with that white logo.  So crisp and identifiable.   I have coveted a MacBook Pro for many many years.  I am a laptop girl.  Always have been, always will be.  I love clacking away in any room of the house.  Except the loo of course.  That's just nasty!


Earlier this year, my dreams finally came true.  I happened upon a great deal.  48 months interest free.  I mean hello???  I could not pass it up.  No way.


So on my way home from work, I stopped over and spoke to a salesperson at the store.  I asked a billion questions, but he knew.  He could tell by the look in my eyes that it was a done deal.  I just had to convince my husband.


So I made that phone call. 


Me:     Guess what babe??  I've found an awesome deal to get my mac (or words to that effect)
Him:   What do you mean good deal?
Me:     It's like 48 months interest free babe.  I mean, 4 years to pay it off.
Him:   Wouldn't you be better off getting a pc laptop?  All of our stuff is pc.
Me:    You know I've always wanted one.
Him:  Yeah, but they are so expensive.
Me:   I know, but it's something I'll be using all the time.  I mean, I need a laptop now I'm back at uni.
Him:   Why don't we go to Harvey Norman this weekend and check out some other options?
Me:    S I L E N C E
Him:  Babe?
Me:    What?
Him:  Well how much will it cost a month?
Me:   Only $ 75 a month, but I'll try and pay it off quicker when I can, I'll pay more.
Him:  You sure we can afford it?
Me:   Yes babe, this is the perfect way to get it.
Him:  Well, ok.  If it's what you really want.
Me:   YAY!!!!!!!!


I have to say, it was worth the wait.  I love love love my baby.  Although if I'm honest, he seems to spend more time on it than I do!!


What is it about status symbols we feel the need to have or own?  I mean, I was seduced by a plain white apple logo.  I mean logically I know I could probably have bought about 4 laptops for the price I paid for mine.


But I wouldn't change a thing.  I work hard.  We both do.  I don't think it's a crime to indulge every now and again.  It makes life worth living.


Now if only I could buy magazines again.  I love a good mag.  It's something about the smell of the very expensive paper they use.  So shiny, glossy and smells......  expensive.


Maybe one day...  when the kids are off our hands :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment